Welcome!

Thanks for visiting the blog of Ellen Livingood of Catalyst Services. Our initial blog posts will feature updates about the Cape Town 2010 congress. I hope you enjoy this window on this amazing gathering of Christian leaders committed to making Jesus known to the ends of the earth.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Wednesday at Lausanne III

John Piper began the day today with a powerful challenge from Ephesians 3 focusing on the role of the church in reaching the nations, especially through suffering and prayer. There’s insufficient space or time here to unpack what he said, but I would encourage you to download his short message when it is posted online. His challenge was followed by an incredible testimony by Libby Little, whose husband was one of the 10 killed in Afghanistan just two months ago. She gave an illustration about the Nuristani goat cheese that you really need to listen to online. Wow! God really touched my heart with both of these messages.
The afternoon “dialog session” that I attended stimulating my thinking in some new directions about the financial aspects of partnership. In my small group were leaders from Kenya, Turkey, and Sri Lanka. Listening to their insights stretched my perspective about the difficulties faced by the church in the developing world. It was just the kind of interaction that I had hoped to benefit from here. The only problem was that it was too short.
A very stimulating discussion with a Canadian leader over dinner was probably worth the whole trip. The report he shared with me about how teams of young adults (including him and his wife) are moving into some of the neediest neighborhoods of the cities of Canada to live their lives alongside immigrants was tremendously exciting. I can’t wait to hear more. I am hoping he can come to Catalyst’s Interchange Conference in December.
As has been true each evening, we were treated to incredible worship led by an international team that presents music in multiple languages and uses musical styles from various places. It is so much fun to look around and see a woman in a beautiful sari clapping and singing a Latin worship song, or an Asian and an African with their arms over each other’s shoulders moving in the traditional manner of a Jewish praise number. This really is like standing on the edge of heaven’s glories as the multitude of peoples all join in praise to the Lamb of God!
We are all really tired and glad that tomorrow is our “day off” for sightseeing and resting.

3 comments:

  1. Ellen,
    Wow! Thanks so much for sharing. I am glad you are getting a day off to rest (and process). I signed up for the daily update from the Congress. I am overwhelmed with all the things happening & topics covered. I am so glad you can be there. You will take sooo much of this with you. Can't wait to hear more about your time there and what you've learned.
    -Lisa Yoder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the Canadian coming to Interchange? I'd really like to pick his brain before Jonathan & I move into a diverse neighborhood in Jan...

    ReplyDelete